According to a royal pundit, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry were met with an uncomfortable reception in New York City, with police officers outnumbering fans.
During their tour last week, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex met with New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio and New York State Governor Kathy Hochul.
Former royal journalist Charlie Rae of The Sun, however, told talkRADIO that the couple’s “glorified tourist visit” backfired. When the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were out and about in the big US metropolis, he remarked that “hardly any crowds” gathered to see them.
The trip aroused debate since the duo no longer represents the Queen abroad after leaving the working Royal Family to achieve financial independence in the United States.
“This is not a royal tour, this is a glorified tourist visit,” Charlie explained.
“Three days in New York, and I think some of the media are getting overexcited,” he continued.
“There are hardly any crowds there in any of the photos. There are more NYPD officers than anyone else.
“They are meeting dignitaries and staying at the lavish Carlyle hotel, but it is not a royal tour. They no longer have royal duties.”
“Do you think the American public know who they are, care who they are, or is their star waning a little bit?” said TalkRADIO presenter Peter Cardwell.
“I think their star is waning a little bit, particularly in the UK,” Mr Rae answered.
“In the US, I think they are still quite popular. The Americans have always wanted their own royal family.”
Last night, Harry and Meghan paid a visit to Central Park to attend the Global Citizen Live event, a campaign for global vaccination equity.
Coldplay, Billie Eilish, and Jennifer Lopez were among the headliners who performed in New York City, with Ed Sheeran and Elton John joining them.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were later reunited with their children Archie and Lilibet after the trip.
Despite not having a diplomatic position, they met with UN Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed.
The Duke and Duchess slammed “ultra-wealthy pharmaceutical companies” for not sharing their vaccinations during their attendance.
“Many countries are ready to produce vaccines back home yet they aren’t allowed to because ultra-wealthy pharmaceutical companies are not sharing the recipes to make them,” Harry remarked.
The Sussexes also chatted with Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US ambassador to the United Nations, who raved about the couple.
“Wonderful meeting with Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex,” she said on Twitter.
“Important discussion of COVID, racial justice, and raising mental health awareness.”
- Ben Affleck Was Nearly Replaced by Tom Hanks in $115M Thriller That Was Originally Set to Be Directed by First Ever Female Oscar Winning Director
- Paul Simon reveals hearing loss, reflects on mortality: ‘My generation’s time is up’
- “He treats his actors like horses”: Tom Hanks Hated Working With Clint Eastwood While Filming $241M Drama for a Shocking Reason
- No invitation to the King’s birthday parade for Prince Harry
- Sicko Wants $75k For Pieces Of The Car Paul Walker Died In
- Spoelstra, Heat bow out with ‘no regrets on our end’
- Why is Meghan Markle not telling Prince Harry he’s making a fool of himself?
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle ‘not welcome’ at historical royal event for first time ever
- Prince Harry shares the moment he realised Meghan Markle was his ‘soulmate’
- Harry is seen as a ‘loose cannon by Royals while Meghan appears set on destroying’ the Institution’
- Jennifer Lopez forced ex to fire hot female staffers
- Jack Nicholson’s friends fear he’ll die alone like Brando
- Amber Heard may have staged the TJ Maxx shopping pics to sell them herself!
- Jennifer Lopez, Ben Affleck have tense red carpet argument
- Brad Pitt made director cry when he rejected movie role
- Kate Beckinsale addresses plastic surgery reports
- Why Salma Hayek slapped Ryan Reynolds two times
- Julia Roberts was slapped by Sean Penn
- Why Daniel Craig wanted James Bond to die earlier
- Eva Mendes feared working with Will Smith would ruin her career