Queen says ‘recollections may vary’ after Meghan interview
GET TOP STORIES VIA INBOX
While responding to Meghan and Harry’s bombshell interview with Oprah, the Palace stated in a statement that “recollections may vary,” but that the issues will be handled privately.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning. While some recollections may vary, they are taken very seriously and will be addressed by the family privately,” The Queen said in a statement.
The unusual intervention from the head of state, who has always remained silent on controversial issues, came amid reports of “crisis talks” at the palace as a result of the backlash from the broadcast interview, in which the pair explained their reasons for stepping down as working royals.
The Sussexes will “always be much loved family members,” the statement said.
Buckingham Palace’s reaction followed crisis talks attended by top royals.
The Sussexes detailed their short life as a working royal couple, claiming that a member of the family – neither the Queen or the Duke of Edinburgh – made a racial remark about their son, and that the duchess had suicidal thoughts but was denied assistance by the Palace.
The Palace has been under increasing pressure to react to the interview in which Meghan, the contemporary Royal Family’s first mixed-race member, said that before their baby Archie was born, concerns about his skin color were raised.
After the episode aired in the United States, senior members of the Royal Family, including the Queen, Prince Charles, and Prince William, were reported to be engaged in crisis talks.
Buckingham Palace had no previous notice of what the pair said before to the CBS broadcast in the early hours of Monday, which was seen by more than 11 million UK viewers on Monday night, bringing the transatlantic viewership to almost 30 million.
Following the interview, Ms Winfrey emphasized that the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh were not engaged in the purported discussion over Harry and Meghan’s child’s skin tone.
The palace believes that diversity, equality, inclusion, and mental health are essential concerns, and that promoting them has been a part of the Royal Family’s activity for many years. It is unlikely that the palace will make any more comments.
During a public visit to a Covid vaccination facility in London on Tuesday, a Sky News reporter asked Prince Charles what he thought of the interview, but he did not respond.
According to data from the US television network CBS, over 50 million people across the globe watched Oprah’s chat with the pair.
It is unclear which problems the Queen is alluding to when she states “recollections may vary,” but it may be comments about Archie’s skin color or the fact that the couple thought procedure would be altered to deprive their son the automatic title of prince when Charles ascended to the throne.
In addition to accusations of racism, the interview included damning assertions that the palace failed to assist Meghan while she was suffering from mental health problems that made her suicidal.
Piers Morgan, the host of Good Morning Britain, stood down from his position on the program on Tuesday evening, after thousands of complaints over his reaction to the news of the Duchess’s mental health the day before.
- Lady Gaga flaunts her side b**b and cleav@ge
- Mia Khalifa goes br*less in stunning pictures
- Actress refuses to film under wear scene
- Rachel McAdams feared dog would tear B00B apart
- Christina Milian suffers shocking wardrobe malfunction
- How Monica Lewinsky seduced Bill Clinton in White House
- Kylie Jenner accidentally flashes KN!CKERS in tiny dress
- Katy Perry poses topIess in odd photo
- Amanda Bynes must stay in psychiatric ward for 30 days
- Actress flashes bum in skimpy underwear
- Leo DiCaprio slept with 7 different women at this event
- Rihanna poses n-ked in bathtub in new video
- Leonardo DiCaprio is lazy and bad in bed
- ‘I caught Jack Nicholson having a threesome’ – Actress
- Selena Gomez goes braless, wearing almost nothing
- Jennifer Lawrence had a ‘ton of s-x’ during acting break
- Jon Hamm fed up of discussions about his huge member
- Emily Ratajkowski flaunts s-xy legs in yellow mini dress
- Dakota Johnson stole underwear and a s-x toy from the “Fifty Shades” set
- Burt Reynolds: My s*x life was ruined by my stunts