Meghan Markle filed formal complaint to ITV over Piers Morgan remarks
GET TOP STORIES VIA INBOX
Meghan Markle has filed a complaint with ITV over comments made by former “Good Morning Britain” presenter Piers Morgan concerning the Duchess of Sussex and her mental health.
According to Chris Ship, the station’s royal editor, the Duchess of Sussex submitted her protest on Monday, following the airing of Good Morning Britain.
“Meghan raised concerns about how [Piers Morgan’s] words affect the issue of mental health and what it might do to others contemplating suicide,” he said on social media.
Morgan has finally broken his silence following his shocking departure from the programme, stating he was prepared to “fall on his sword” after “agreeing to disagree” with ITV about apologizing for the diatribe.
Morgan also claimed he didn’t believe Meghan and Harry’s claims of racism, or Meghan’s admission that she sought – and was denied – mental health care from the palace after intense media attention drove her to consider suicide.
“When we talked about this yesterday, I said as an all-encompassing thing I don’t believe what Meghan Markle is saying generally in this interview, and I still have serious concerns about the veracity of a lot of what she said,” Morgan told the Guardian.
The duchess told Winfrey that she “didn’t want to be alive anymore” and that if she hadn’t told her husband, Prince Harry, she would have committed suicide.
“But let me just state on the record my position about mental illness and on suicide,” he added. “These are clearly extremely serious things that should be taken extremely seriously, and if someone is feeling that way they should get the treatment and help they need every time.”
“I think the damage she has done to the British monarchy and to the queen, at a time when Prince Philip is lying in hospital, is enormous and frankly contemptible.”
Morgan also chastised people who believed he had been “cancelled”
“I think they will be rather disappointed when I re-emerge. I would call it a temporary hibernation,” he said.
He has now reaffirmed his position, adding, “Freedom of speech is a hill I’m happy to die on.”
He did, however, admit that it was “not for me to question if she felt suicidal”
In addition to feeling suicidal, the duchess said she received no assistance from the royal family after voicing concerns about racism.
More than 40,000 complaints were sent by Ofcom, the UK regulating authority for the television sector, in response to Morgan’s remarks regarding Meghan and Harry.
The broadcasting regulator declared that it will investigate the statements under its “harm and offence” regulations.
Morgan walked off the set of the morning show on Tuesday when his co-anchor, Alex Beresford, accused him of having a vendetta against the duchess.
“I wish I had the privilege to sit on the fence,” Beresford tweeted after standing up to Morgan. “In order for me to do that I would have to strip myself of my identity and that’s not something I can do. It’s not any of our places to pick apart claims of racism in order to make us to feel more comfortable.”
Morgan was a frequent Meghan critic, both on his high-profile morning TV show and on social media, as well as in his other capacity as a Daily Mail writer.
Screenshots circulating on Twitter demonstrate exactly how many column inches Morgan has occupied in previous years with nasty assaults on Meghan and Harry:
The interview’s consequences has generated problems for the British monarchy.
Buckingham Palace issued a statement on behalf of the Queen, stating that the matters will be addressed confidentially.
“The whole family is saddened to learn the full extent of how challenging the last few years have been for Harry and Meghan,” the statement said.
“The issues raised, particularly that of race, are concerning.
- Lady Gaga flaunts her side b**b and cleav@ge
- Actress refuses to film under wear scene
- Mia Khalifa goes br*less in stunning pictures
- Rachel McAdams feared dog would tear B00B apart
- Christina Milian suffers shocking wardrobe malfunction
- How Monica Lewinsky seduced Bill Clinton in White House
- Kylie Jenner accidentally flashes KN!CKERS in tiny dress
- Katy Perry poses topIess in odd photo
- Amanda Bynes must stay in psychiatric ward for 30 days
- Actress flashes bum in skimpy underwear
- Leo DiCaprio slept with 7 different women at this event
- Rihanna poses n-ked in bathtub in new video
- Leonardo DiCaprio is lazy and bad in bed
- ‘I caught Jack Nicholson having a threesome’ – Actress
- Selena Gomez goes braless, wearing almost nothing
- Jennifer Lawrence had a ‘ton of s-x’ during acting break
- Jon Hamm fed up of discussions about his huge member
- Emily Ratajkowski flaunts s-xy legs in yellow mini dress
- Dakota Johnson stole underwear and a s-x toy from the “Fifty Shades” set
- Burt Reynolds: My s*x life was ruined by my stunts