Martyn Compton, who was severely burnt in Afghanistan in 2006 and has been a longtime friend of Harry’s, said that the 36-year-old’s choice to leave the Royal Family was “worth it”
He spoke of the heartbreak Harry would experience if his titles are taken on ITV’s Lorraine.
“I guess it comes down to you can’t be a royal and cash in on it – and the royal family has said that which is why everything had happened,” Compton replied when asked whether he thought Harry would have preferred a different result.
Martin said: “He [Harry] was very passionate about what he done.
“He’d obviously served his time so anyone that serves their time deserves what they have got.
“And to have that taken away is going to be a massive ordeal for him.”
“I’m sure he’ll do right by his family.” the former soldier stated, adding that Harry was acting in the best interests of his family.
According to the DailyMail in the United Kingdom, Compton is a former British soldier from the Household Cavalry Regiment who was injured when a Taliban in Afghanistan set fire to his truck with an RPG. As he tried to flee the flaming wreckage, he was shot twice in the leg. Compton spent a year in the hospital after suffering burns to 75% of his body.
He rebuilt his life to marry Michelle, 40, with whom he has two children, Archie, nine, and Coral, eight, and is now a full-time racing driver for Stand2 Motorsport.
The Duke’s honorary military titles have been revoked.
He went on to say of the split, “It’s a big thing he’s done and, personally, I hope it’s worth it for him.”
Compton met Harry for the first time in 2006, shortly before he left for Afghanistan. For the last 15 years, they have stayed friends.
Last week, the Duke of Sussex and his wife Meghan Markle announced their permanent separation from the Royal Family.
The 36-year-old’s appointment as captain general of the Royal Marines and other military titles will return to the queen before being dispersed to other members of the family, according to the palace.
It means he won’t be allowed to wear the official uniform at any future events, instead opting for a suit and his medals.
Markle and Harry outlined their plans to work independently, dividing their time between the United Kingdom and North America, in their January 2020 announcement of stepping down as senior members of the royal family.
Buckingham Palace issued the following statement: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family.
“Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
In a statement, Harry and Meghan replied: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.
“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
During a virtual event for Spotify on Monday, Harry and Meghan made their first public appearance since their royal divorce.
The pair has struck huge deals with both Netflix and Spotify after leaving the Royal Family last year, with an interview with Oprah scheduled to broadcast next month.